Preparing for a Successful 360 Process
Many of today’s leading organizations are well aware of the value, in theory, that 360-degree feedback systems can bring to their people and their companies.
For example, research has shown that 360-degree feedbacks can significantly increase:
- Individual and team effectiveness
- Behavior change
- Insight about how to achieve success
However, in practice, how much value is actually being realized by companies after implementing 360 degree feedback systems?
How can HR professionals ensure that both leaders and the broader company get maximum value from a 360 degree feedback?
We believe it all starts with setting the system up for 360 success.
This can be accomplished by taking a closer look at the design and implementation of 360 systems, and the effective interpretation of 360 results.
By considering these key factors of success as part of the development of 360 initiatives, HR professionals and companies can prepare for and build in strategies to avoid common issues and flaws. At the same time, they can also enhance buy-in, engagement, and performance.
Potential Issue #1: Striking the optimal rater balance
- Are more raters always better?
- What are the implications of not having enough raters?
Potential Issue #2: The “garbage in, garbage out” principle
- How can we be sure that 360 feedback brings meaning to the development process?
- How can we encourage accuracy and honesty?
Potential Issue #3: Ratings clustered at the high end of the scale
- What strategies can we use to help raters feel engaged and take the process seriously?
- How can the process be set up to hold raters accountable for extreme or “outlier” ratings?
Potential Issue #4: Beware of the “one-size fits all” approach
- How can we connect 360 feedback to performance objectives?
- How can we anchor it in meaning for the leader and for the company?
- In what ways can we best engage and involve relevant stakeholders?
Potential Issue #5: The “now what?” phenomenon
- How do we ensure leaders aren’t “left hanging” at the end of the process?
- What do we need to do to provide ongoing support and guidance?
- How can 360 feedback have the greatest impact on performance?
If you’d like to get a 360 process started or have any questions, contact us at SIGMA for more information.