What is the OSI-R?
The Occupational Stress Inventory-Revised (OSI-R) is a 30-minute leadership assessment that measures three domains of occupational adjustment – occupational stress, psychological strain, and coping resources. For each of these dimensions, scales measure specific attributes of the environment or individual that represent important characteristics of occupational adjustment.
The OSI-R Scales
The OSI-R yields scores on 14 different scales:
- Role overload: High scorers may describe their workload as increasing, unreasonable & unsupported.
- Role insufficiency: High scorers may report a poor fit between their skills and the job they are performing.
- Role ambiguity: High scorers may report an unclear sense of what they are expected to do.
- Role boundary: High scorers may report feeling caught between conflicting supervisory demands & factions.
- Responsibility: High scorers may report high levels of responsibility for the activities & work performance of subordinates.
- Physical environment: High scorers may report being exposed to high levels of noise, moisture, dust, heat, cold, light, poisonous substances, or unpleasant odors.
- Vocational stress: High scorers may report poor attitudes toward their work, including dread, boredom, and lack of interest.
- Psychological strain: High scorers may report feeling depressed, anxious, unhappy, and/or irritable.
- Interpersonal strain: High scorers may report frequent quarrels or excessive dependency on family members, spouses, and friends.
- Physical strain: High scorers may report frequent worries about their health as well as a number of physical symptoms.
- Recreation: High scorers may report that they take advantage of the recreational/leisure time coming to them and engage in a variety of activities that they find relaxing and satisfying.
- Self-care: High scorers may report that they regularly exercise, sleep 8 hours per day, are careful about their diet, practice relaxation techniques, and avoid harmful substances.
- Social support: High scorers may report feeling that there is at least one person they can count on, one who values and/or loves them.
- Rational / cognitive coping: High scorers may report that they have a systematic approach to solving problems, think through the consequences of their choices, and are able to identify important elements of problems encountered.
Who Should Use the OSI-R?
- HR professionals looking to implement a measure of occupational adjustment as part of employee placement, succession planning, or leadership development and coaching programs
- Researchers and practitioners who would like to measure occupational stress in employees to better understand how it affects performance, work behaviors, attitudes, turnover, and absenteeism
- Research on the behavioral correlates of health risk factors
Why Should I Use the OSI-R?
CONVENIENT. This occupational stress questionnaire can be administered in 30 minutes on SIGMA’s online platform – SigmaTesting.com. Reports are generated immediately. Results are presented using graphs, numbers, and occupational stress scale descriptions.
WIDELY APPLICABLE. This occupational stress test was normed on more than 900 adults in 130 different occupations. Revisions include new and revised items, and norms for gender and specific occupational categories (i.e., executive, professional, technical, administrative support, public service/safety, and agricultural/production/laborer).
RELIABLE AND VALID. The coefficient alphas for the OSI-R total questionnaire scores were 0.88 for ORQ, 0.93 for PSQ, and 0.89 for PRQ. The OSI-R coefficients are compared to those of the original OSI. Convergent validity studies, factor analyses, correlational studies of the relationships of the scales to variables of practical and theoretical importance, studies of the stress, strain, and coping models employing comparisons of selected criterion groups are all reported in the manual.
An overview of startup costs for each administration method of the Occupational Stress Inventory is provided below.
OSI-R Startup Costs
|US Pricing||Canadian Pricing|
||$ 69||$ 84|
OSI-R Per Test Cost
|US Pricing||Canadian Pricing|
|Online Scoring||$ 23||$ 28|
View a complete listing of all our OSI-R products and pricing.
Ready to Order the OSI-R?
Purchasing the OSI-R is quick and easy. The first step is to complete an application form to get approved for an online account. Once approved, you will receive an email with your login information. At that point, you can log in, purchase tests, and begin testing.
Need more information? Contact us to submit a question. Our customer service team will contact you within 24-48 hours with a response. Or call us at our toll-free line.