Looking for the Right Succession Planning Software for Your Company?
Most companies looking for succession planning software are really looking for technology that will create a process for them. In truth, succession planning software should be called succession management software. It is a valuable tool for executing your succession plan by helping you track, analyze, and manage the performance of your employees.
To build your succession plan, there is no substitute for getting your leadership team engaged in succession planning like we do with our Succession Planning Launch Series or by using our Succession Planning Guide.
If you’ve already got a succession plan in place and are looking for support implementing it, succession planning software can be a great help in remaining on-task and on-schedule.
Where to Begin
Before digging into the many succession planning software options, I suggest looking at your current human resource management system (HRMS). Does it have a succession planning module included? Is an add-on module available? Using your current HRMS will:
- Likely be cheaper to purchase a succession planning module vs. a stand-alone platform,
- Require little to no integration within your company,
- Have less of a learning curve, and
- Will be one less ‘system’ you’ll need to manage.
Choosing a New Software
Before you begin looking into software, spend some time thinking about what you will need in a program. Put some critical thought into what your goals are, how you intend to use it, and your practical constraints, including your budget.
Here are a few helpful sites that provide a comprehensive list of succession software providers along with user ratings, including:
Personally, I recommend starting your search with G2. They provide a great high-level starting point and requires software to (at a minimum) be able to:
- Find, track, and compare employees for specific roles and promotions
- Evaluate employees’ performance and leadership potential
- Collect business intelligence to help organizations make informed succession planning decisions
- Help employees create career development plans, identify skills gaps, and prepare them for leadership roles
To further emphasize what succession management software can and can’t do, the above list makes it clear that you do not need succession management software until you have a fully developed succession plan.
How SIGMA Can Help
While not as sexy as succession software, our Succession Planning Launch Series is a better and more cost-effective way to get your succession planning off the ground. Our innovative and engaging process delivers custom succession plans for your executive team that will stand up to Board scrutiny in just 4-6 weeks. Contact us today for more information.